Are you looking for a Dentist in Peterborough who is experienced in the placement and general maintenance of crowns and fixed bridges? Dr. Ralph Bastian is a dentist in the area with over 30 years of experience. He has a passion for creating complex multi-unit prostheses which can restore function and appearance; giving you back that pearly white smile and a new sense of confidence.
What Are Crowns and Fixed Bridges?
Unlike dentures which can be removed, crowns and fixed bridges are fixed prosthetic devices which are custom made and fitted by a dentist. They cannot be removed and are cemented onto a person’s existing teeth or implants.
A dentist may recommend the fabrication of crowns if:
- He wants to cover a discolored or poorly shaped tooth or a tooth that has received root canal treatment (this is the most common reason)
- He wishes to protect a particularly weak tooth which is at risk of breaking or fracturing
- He needs to restore a tooth that has already been broken or fractured
- He needs to attach a bridge
A dentist may recommend the fitment of fixed bridges if:
- You are missing one or more teeth
How Long Do They Last?
Most crowns and fixed bridges are made to last a lifetime. However, it is common for them to require maintenance. Over time, they may start to loosen or fall out which will require a quick visit to your dentist. To avoid this, proper oral hygiene is of the utmost importance.